Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 186 released

Comments

• QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    All servers should remove overmind for now. Only the alien spawn bug persists with it removed.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I fixed it. It was a problem with something new they introduced in the sound-system that required

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><soundinfo>sound/NS2.soundinfo</soundinfo><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    to be present in the Game_Setup.xml. This isn't inherited from ns2's standard game_setup.xml, which was a problem for the now 6-month old Game_Setup.xml GmOvrmind uses. I've updated it, and you can fetch it <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38570801/Game_Setup.xml" target="_blank">here</a>. Just overwrite GmOvrmind's standard Game_Setup.xml (in the root-directory, "NS2GmOvrmind/Game_Setup.xml") with this one, and the problems should go away. I've also updated the complete-package for people who are doing a fresh install, so they will get the new version by default. I've kept the version number at v10, as technically this isn't really a problem in GmOvrmind, and a recompilation was not required.
  • JowJow Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106032Members
    Not sure if this happens online (seems like someone would've mentioned it), but going offline and just shooting the rifle fo rme results in a triangle blocking out about aquarter of the view on the left side of the screen.

I'll check to see if I can make it happen again sometime later but it was pretty weird.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    performance has improved heaps! A few issues/concerns while playing around with build for a bit.

1) Marine reloading
    - not sure where the idea of marines dying while reloading too much was a bad thing. I always thought the rifle had enough damage potential and the skillcap was always there to aim well. Also think it might be a bit imba for ammopacks to replenish current live clip especially with shotgunners on hives.
    - Endar noticed this one, theres no penalty to reloading when you can instantly interrupt reloading with shooting. This means your always early reloading even at 49/50 bullets and there's no decision making, ammo conservation or situational awareness involved.

2) Commandering
    - Alien comm is really smooth now and i cannot say how great it is not having to reselect buildings to do stuff with them. Nice fix! One small issue that's still in 186 though is when you select hive, set drifter waypoint, build drifter, then instantly drag box select it the instant it pops out it will show as having been selected but act as if it hasn't been. A bit annoying that you have to wait a bit before being able to select the drifter and give it an order.
    - Also when drag box selecting, if your cursor happens to move over the minimap while dragging your box, it will move your camera. Minimap moving needs to be disabled while drag box selecting i think.

3) ARC sounds a bit too much like a truck and not a futuristic piece of machinery haha. Instinctively looked for the exhaust pipe but there wasn't one. Was this a sound easter egg? :p

4) Getting the weird random hitches other people have mentioned. Not sure if its related but everytime it happens and i open the console it shows
    "GetLightsForPowerPoint(powerPoint):Couldn't find location entity named - Client". Also seems to happen alot around vent area on summit.

5) Getting alot of out of memory crashes from drawing the gui health circles on alien structures (in alien comm) and the flash displays on marine weapons which used to be a tram only feature mmm. It seems random and i cant figure out reliable repro steps. i have a 1gb 5870 so i have no idea why it would be running out of memory :x
    IDirect3DDevice9::CreateDepthStencilSurface(256, 128, D3DFMT_D24S8) failed (Out of video memory)
    Direct3DDevice::Texture initialize failed- D24S8, xSize=256, ySize=128)
    Error: (FlashTexture) unable to create render texture for lua/GUIShotgunDisplay.lua
    Error: (Material) failed to initialize lua/GUIShotgunDisplay.lua

*Edit more*
    6) Long ass delay after you finish sprinting where you can't do anything needs to go and time it takes to switch weapons needs to be quicker imo. Just feels really unresponsive and not fastpaced at all.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878533:date=Oct 7 2011, 02:39 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Oct 7 2011, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Correct.

There is a function in Server.lua called DestroyLiveMapEntities(). We added "Server.mapLiveEntities = { }" to the bottom of that function, bug fixed. That list was never being cleared. When the entity count looped over (after about 2000 entities had been created in total), weird stuff would start to happen.
    Due to how the bug was manifesting itself and the time needed to track it down, that fix took a looooooong time however. So it goes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks Murphy, this is why we love you guys. Real answer to a question straight from the horse's mouth. <3
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Great log!
    Can't wait to test today.
    But i see on your twitter there already "hard" bugs :(
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1878618:date=Oct 8 2011, 05:41 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Oct 8 2011, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great log!
    Can't wait to test today.
    But i see on your twitter there already "hard" bugs :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    These are not entirely bugs with the patch, and if server ops update GM Overmind, then they are fixed. Not the alien spawn bug though, i think that's still there.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    Bug: Sentries sometimes ignore aliens.

[Update] After some testing on my local server, the bug appears to be:
    If a Sentry's loses its targets alien (due to lack of LoS, or Blink), that alien becomes an invalid target, until it respawns, or changes lifeform.

(The new Sentry "scanner" sound is certainly more interesting than the old bleeps. It is, however, a little too soft.)

Found another bug:
    When the Alien Commander start building the first Whip, the Lerk evolution displays a progress % number; the confirmation button for Lerk evolution looks disabled, but still functions as normal.
    When the Alien Commander start building the first Crag, the Gorge evolution displays a progress % number, and so on.

ARCs are listed as having a speed of 5.0. However, they are still slower than walking Marines, which is strange.

ARC health is way too high, now that they move faster, and can be repaired quite quickly.
  • HapikaHapika Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 112913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878621:date=Oct 8 2011, 07:18 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Oct 8 2011, 07:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878621"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sentries sometimes ignore aliens. I have not been able to reproduce it reliably tho.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can confirm this too. Newly builded sentry does not fired on a slow skulk who was only wondeering in the front of a sentry. Than he desided to eat it :)
  • promanowpromanow Join Date: 2011-08-12 Member: 116037Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878623:date=Oct 8 2011, 10:38 AM:name=Hapika)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hapika @ Oct 8 2011, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can confirm this too. Newly builded sentry does not fired on a slow skulk who was only wondeering in the front of a sentry. Than he desided to eat it :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here! After playing two or three games I can confirm this. The sentries sometimes just do nothing, like waiting to be chewed on ;)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878624:date=Oct 8 2011, 10:50 AM:name=promanow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (promanow @ Oct 8 2011, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same here! After playing two or three games I can confirm this. The sentries sometimes just do nothing, like waiting to be chewed on ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like this feature
  • CygoneCygone Join Date: 2011-05-29 Member: 101528Members
    edited October 2011
    Bug - We have invisible fades, intermitant

edit

We have inviss marines (not all of the at the same time), I can see them under the alien 'flashlight' (only thier gun not thier model) the model for thier gun when they are inviss in this mode, is flat (like it is laying on the ground), it is infact on the same 'plane' as the ground. I never had this in 185, so youve broken something devs
  • ChinaChina Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 112029Members
    That happened to me a few builds ago, then they fixed it.. i guess it's back now.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878625:date=Oct 8 2011, 09:55 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Oct 8 2011, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878625"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this feature<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too :D
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878627:date=Oct 8 2011, 12:05 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Oct 8 2011, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878627"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Bug - We have invisible fades, intermitant

edit

We have inviss marines (not all of the at the same time), I can see them under the alien 'flashlight' (only thier gun not thier model) the model for thier gun when they are inviss in this mode, is flat (like it is laying on the ground), it is infact on the same 'plane' as the ground. I never had this in 185, so youve broken something devs<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Verify integrity of game cache(or delete and reinstall the game to be 100% sure) in steam, this should fix it.

At least I had the same invisible problem in another patch, and this fixed it.
    Spawn bug is alow back. Also losing alien upgrades when it happens
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Tram still black screens and doesn't load.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1878637:date=Oct 8 2011, 12:43 PM:name=Cygone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cygone @ Oct 8 2011, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Spawn bug is alow back. Also losing alien upgrades when it happens<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think so. You lose the upgrades when your whip/crag/shade gets destroyed.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The performance boost is nice. I like most of the changes.

The fade blink spam block is not very intuitive (how does it work exactly?) and quite unpleasant, but doesn't really balance the fade.

The game crashed after a while (>one hour), both time I played.
    <!--quoteo(post=1878660:date=Oct 8 2011, 03:53 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 8 2011, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The performance boost is nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lucky you. I got about a 2 fps performance boost. At most.
    <!--quoteo(post=1878647:date=Oct 8 2011, 01:50 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Oct 8 2011, 01:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think so. You lose the upgrades when your whip/crag/shade gets destroyed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is possible with the speed to which aliens lose buildings when you have 0 alive.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Every server I join I'm teleporting around all over the place if I try to move. This build seems incredibly laggy.
  • NasderoNasdero Join Date: 2008-11-11 Member: 65423Members
    would love to play this build more often but i fed up crashes every 20 minutes.... comon UWE ??
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    Not to be an ass, but you knew this was going to happen.

UWE takes a month and a half to release a stable version of their game, and within an hour of release, it's clear that this build is one of the least stable versions of recent memory.

This makes me curious as to the thoroughness of the playtesting process. I realize not all bugs will be found through internal playtesting alone, and I don't expect every build to be completely bug-free and polished, but it seems something as obvious as server-crashing issues should be resolved before release.

I'm a fan of the smaller, more frequent updates (weekly, bimonthly) because it involves the community more in the bug-crushing process. By withholding updates from the community for so long (1+ month), people lose interest, and then expect something extraordinary. When the build fails to live up to its hype with game-breaking problems, it only makes the loss of interest more intense.

Why not involve the community more in playtesting? After all, it is a beta. My suggestion would be to release a weekly update with the fixes and having the game partially broken, so that the community can help speed up identifying bugs and problems. Makes more sense rather than waiting longer with the same results.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878660:date=Oct 8 2011, 02:53 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Oct 8 2011, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The performance boost is nice. I like most of the changes.

The fade blink spam block is not very intuitive (how does it work exactly?) and quite unpleasant, but doesn't really balance the fade.

The game crashed after a while (>one hour), both time I played.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fade blink fix was needed.
    Now fades have to use their brains before using blink.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Well, I have to play more, but from what I saw it didn't fix anything from the balance perspective, it's just annoying.
    <!--quoteo(post=1878681:date=Oct 8 2011, 06:18 PM:name=hf_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hf_ @ Oct 8 2011, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not involve the community more in playtesting? After all, it is a beta. My suggestion would be to release a weekly update with the fixes and having the game partially broken, so that the community can help speed up identifying bugs and problems. Makes more sense rather than waiting longer with the same results.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There's so much work needing done to the game that weekly updates would slow them down even more so than now.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    I see a decent performance increase; but it barely helps me any since occlusion culling still gradually craps out until the game becomes unplayable.

The feel of the game seems to have gotten worse. There's rarely any indication that you are getting hit other than your health dropping(and the health bar is quite subtle); this needs to be immediate and obvious as it was in NS1. It's difficult to tell if you hit a marine or not; they make no pain sound and there are no sparks or blood and the volume of the hit sound is so low that when it is present(which seems to be only some of the time) it often gets drowned out. When chewing a marine building, sparks are often somewhere outside your view and the bite-sound is low enough in volume that it gets drowned out by other skulks; this just feels wrong.

Blink still gets upset by the tiniest little bump in the floor, slowing your speed to zero(or slightly vertical).
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I joined in and had two games of non-lagging and fun gameplay which is pretty much what I've been waiting for.
    I'm definitively going to play this every once in a while now :)

---

Admittedly, it seems like the "Create Game" and LAN mode is utterly broken, I crashed three times switching a weapon, so that might need to be looked into.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1878585:date=Oct 7 2011, 08:58 PM:name=Laggasaurus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laggasaurus @ Oct 7 2011, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the increase in fps has kinda highlighted how much the game feels like your playing with a 300+ ping, skulks land bites half a corridor away, couple with their not being too obvious signs you've taken dmg on either side. You can quite often die as marine before your health bar/screen reacts to you being bitten, this works the other way with you killing people with no sign that you've done dmg<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Even on a listen server, things feel about a quarter second behind. If I'm shooting an egg, I can stop when it displays 30% health and it will end up dying. As a fade, if I'm being shot by a sentry, I can enter blink mode and continue to take damage for a brief period after.