Pub Behavior

13»

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    if you ever catch me in game i can teach you to comm. we could join an empty server or something.
  • chickenboychickenboy Join Date: 2012-04-28 Member: 151243Members, Squad Five Blue
    Wow, pretty interesting to see the mix of posts about the good and bad experiences of being comm in public games.
    Personally, having commanded a ton of games, I've found that the ns2 community is really nice and easy going. Even when losing games and telling the team the dreaded words of "i think we should recycle base", pretty much everyone would still laugh about it and be cool.
    I can only remember one case of someone being a "bad" player, i was playing as comm and in the middle of a long pub game i jumped out to save the base, a guy jumped into the chair and recycled the base, much to the dismay of the team.
    Apart from that, its a really great fun to comm in pub games i find.

Also, I've seen a lot of noob/newbie comms and also seen a lot of players help them out.
    I personally run by the rule that its always better to learn something head on, which is why im totally fine with helping and letting new comms take the chair, even though it lowers the teams chance of winning.

Honestly, it all really depends on whether a player is willing to learn and get better or not, and i will always start teaching them assuming that the newbie comm wants to learn, if for whatever reason, he doesn't want to get better, i would much rather have someone who does want to get better comming instead.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1939906:date=May 30 2012, 01:17 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ May 30 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1939906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my experience the jerks seem to be mostly US players, as I rarely ever encounter anyone like that playing EU servers all day like HBZ servers, but then when it's night time and all the EU servers go empty and I still want to play, i'll join a US one and most of the time there's some loudmouth on voice talking ###### the whole game. gives me a headache.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well that may explain why I never experienced one single vote or yell against the com in NS2 yet. It's true that different regions have different behavior in games.

Maybe every poster should post its location after telling us his experience? ;)

Well on the EU servers I most of the time see friendly people, who help each other and explain the different functions if someone asks.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I suck at being comm, but I've got no problem at all helping trying to teach others how to get started and do stuff - I'm perfectly happy to run around a map like a lunatic building for them, to give them an idea how each of the upgrades might work for them.

As beta players, we are not only responsible for helping shape and test the game, we are *all* ambassadors for the game, and need to welcome new players with open arms and do all we can to "bed them in".

If we can keep that in mind for the first couple of months after the game is finally released, not only will be have better players to compete against, but hopefully our patience will be rewarded by an influx of players looking for that adrenaline rush that *we* will have helped encourage - dragging them away from such titles as CoD (where abuse seems to be the standard means of communication) in search of a deeper, darker, more intelligent gaming experience.

Perhaps if we adopt a "game to newbie" ratio, of perhaps 3 full-on "real" games, followed by a 4th "training session" where we allow newbies to hone their skills as comm (or weapon upgrades / alien evolutions) without being too "precious" about death:kill ratio - just play for the sake of it, without being too aggressive until the teams are "tech'd" up. The odd foray to keep things interesting, but go easy and go with the flow.

Since you're talking Squad 5 there Hugh, I don't know their nickname on here (possibly the same as online), but I'd like to throw Underdog's name in the hat for sheer bloody mindedness - the rest of his team had abandoned him in one round, and he played alone against 5 or 6 marines for some considerable time in good humour before finally succumbing to an overwhelming marine team.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    It's STILL a beta. The devs have to release a patch to fix the players but the bugs have to test it first. Cmon guys...
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    we've got bugs testing it, and player patching now ? :-} - this isn't microsoft you know !
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited May 2012
    Another idea... If there is a comm tutorial, the chair could be locked until you've completed the tutorial. If a you haven't completed the tutorial and try to enter the chair a text or voice could inform you that don't have the rank or permission or something and that you need basic training beforehand.

Made me think of a great quote:

Ripley: How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?
    Gorman: Thirty eight... simulated.
    Vasquez: How many *combat* drops?
    Gorman: Uh, two. Including this one.
    Drake: Sh*t...
    Hudson: Oh, man...
  • Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1940365:date=May 31 2012, 02:58 AM:name=Namm)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Namm @ May 31 2012, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another idea... If there is a comm tutorial, the chair could be locked until you've completed the tutorial. If a you haven't completed the tutorial and try to enter the chair a text or voice could inform you that don't have the rank or permission or something and that you need basic training beforehand.

Made me think of a great quote:

Ripley: How many drops is this for you, Lieutenant?
    Gorman: Thirty eight... simulated.
    Vasquez: How many *combat* drops?
    Gorman: Uh, two. Including this one.
    Drake: Sh*t...
    Hudson: Oh, man...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've had hundreds of hours of combat experience. For one thing, I am a battlefield veteran having fought on the alongside fellow veterans collectively referred to as Bad Company among soldiers, and having seen modern warfare up close (three times) I can tell you firsthand that I did not answer the call of duty thrice so that people who are untrained in commanding could be watching my back on the homefront and considering inadequate commanders cause chaos theory to prevail in any combat situation, I would personally feel very uncomfortable working with untrained commanders to take down splinter cells in counter-strike missions without them completing a tutorial first.
  • BVKnightBVKnight Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147496Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1940541:date=May 31 2012, 02:52 PM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 31 2012, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1940541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had hundreds of hours of combat experience. For one thing, I am a battlefield veteran having fought on the alongside fellow veterans collectively referred to as Bad Company among soldiers, and having seen modern warfare up close (three times) I can tell you firsthand that I did not answer the call of duty thrice so that people who are untrained in commanding could be watching my back on the homefront and considering inadequate commanders cause chaos theory to prevail in any combat situation, I would personally feel very uncomfortable working with untrained commanders to take down splinter cells in counter-strike missions without them completing a tutorial first.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I am the Supreme Commander, so I think that pretty much puts an end to any discussion.