Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018644:date=Nov 10 2012, 08:37 PM:name=Kirby_Q(°_o))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kirby_Q(°_o) @ Nov 10 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->where will we find the changelogg?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It'll be on here and I'll post an announcement on the Steam Workshop mod and Steam groups... Still compiling the list of changes and taking a little rest after getting this out there :]
    <!--quoteo(post=2018648:date=Nov 10 2012, 08:41 PM:name=SypherZ)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SypherZ @ Nov 10 2012, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018648"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank you for the reply!

It dosent work with that either, it dosent create a Config file in the folder Combat.

I wonder why it dosent work, it should since DAK creates its own config files?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have you tried removing DAK? I haven't tested running Combat at the same time as DAK yet. Though I can't see a reason why they wouldn't play nice together...
  • StukaJU87cStukaJU87c Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166988Members
    Is there a way to install without having command line access? As far as i can tell my host does not allow it...you can ask them to edit but thatd be a pain, especially if i need to troubleshoot. I
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    hello,

i can't see the chat in web interface, it's normal ?
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Assuming Combat uses a modified game_setup.xml to load (pretty sure it does) then whichever modID is last in your list for -mods is the only one that gets loaded. This is because there is no real modloader for NS2, so unless your replacing core files to load your MOD, multiple code mods that are loaded by game_setup are inherently incompatible.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited November 2012
    alright everyone a new version of combat is now up, biggest change in this build is the nerf of onos, as we have seen a problem with the rounds once the oni are out marines often find it very hard to reach the hive, we want to test this out and see if we are on the right track.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->very important to server OPs<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    I want to ask all the combat server operators to please join this group
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2combatops" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2combatops</a>
    this will alllow us to easily get in contact with you to inform of upcoming versions/changes and maybe answer questions and a place where you can help eachother and share infomation.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    i am new to ns2 combat mode. can we have combat mode and ns2 togther just like we have in the old days? i plan to run combat when the server is unpopulated and ns2 when it is going to be full
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    You can switch at our mode from combat mode back to classic, you can even set a player count and when it reached,
    it automatically switches back to classic after map change.
    In order to do it, you set the value <b>co_mod_player_threshold</b> to a number, and if the number of players reaches that at round end the next game will be a 'normal ns2' game. Type 'co_mod_player_threshold' in the console to see the current value and whether Combat Mod will get loaded next game, based on the player count. If the player count then drops below that threshold again it'll automatically switch back to Combat. I think you can do it via the web admin interface and via the console, or you can edit the CombatMod.cfg file in your config folder.

One issue we've got is that there's currently no way to have one map cycle for Combat and another for the vanilla ns2 mode. It's to do with how the Spark engine handles its map cycle configuration entirely in C++ and loads it right at the beginning. I'm working on a solution that should allow you to specify the ns2 map cycle in your CombatMod.cfg file and hence have both modes working fine together.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    can u specify on how do I run a combat and classic server? i tired to play with mapcycle.json but it just doesnt work out.

i also tried to load a pure co_ server but it just doesnt work out also.

i have been running a DAK admin mod dodging the steamworkshop. i took away the line to boot up the mod but still it doesnt work...
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2012
    Played a little of the latest patch... are you going to be changing how onos/exo combat works in any reasonable way? Or just keeping it close to vanilla?

Also not sure if it was just the server I was on but i noticed alot of hitching and performance issues, and significant choke while playing.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2020612:date=Nov 12 2012, 12:00 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 12 2012, 12:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020612"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Played a little of the latest patch... are you going to be changing how onos/exo combat works in any reasonable way? Or just keeping it close to vanilla?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

right now we have a cap on the oni/exos that scales with bigger teams we lowered the onos health yesterday to give exos a fighting chance and we might also add a 30sec ( or more ) cool down timer if you lose one of those units to avoid the

<!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro-->evolve onos--->suicide attack into a group of marines to get xp faster---->evolve into onos instantly after spawning<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

wich is very bad all in all yet rewarding, so hopefully this will force players to be more carful with these units and will be punished if they lose it.
    I do have to point out that the cap is currently at 1 onos per 5 players on a team ( same for exos ) yet we are seeing alot of oni/exos than that so there is a bug that we will look into.

That is atleast how we have it planned currently if you have a better solution for this mess please do share.

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->very important to server OPs<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2combatops" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ns2combatops</a>
    this will alllow us to easily get in contact with you to inform of upcoming versions/changes and maybe answer questions and a place where you can help eachother and share infomation.
    My comment was more directed on if you plan on changing the combat mechanics of those two units, so that they function differently from vanilla to make them funner to play/fight, and less impacting on gameplay.

In terms of balance/gameplay if you dont change the mechanics I see no way to really make it fun besides limit caps.
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2020988:date=Nov 12 2012, 06:45 PM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Nov 12 2012, 06:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2020988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My comment was more directed on if you plan on changing the combat mechanics of those two units, so that they function differently from vanilla to make them funner to play/fight, and less impacting on gameplay.

In terms of balance/gameplay if you dont change the mechanics I see no way to really make it fun besides limit caps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    those 2 units are my main concern right now, am constantly trying to figure out how to fix them.

on another note I would like to take feedback on this idea

Hives and command stations will no longer be healed/welded and instead have 3-4 times the health they have now so its a valid option to keep going for them for instant win, on top of that by round end 25-30m if CC/Hive is not taken down the team with highest total kills win.

this idea came to mind after watch alot of games and the biggest problem is that one team would rush CC/Hive and do massive dmg and get killed they try to rush again to end that round only to find out that CC/hive is 100% healed so players tend to give up on that objective and start to fight eachother until time runs out and aliens win.
    this is specially seen in alien teams, half round they just stop rushing marine base and depend on winning by defending the endless waves of marines until the time runs out and auto win.
    edited November 2012
    IMO if you want to attempt to strike a better balance, you should consider adjusting the onos HP further, and removing dual minigun exo, leaving just the single minigun one. This would make those units more inline with the rest, and help ease that side of the gameplay.

If the units are more even, then next steps to help ease endgame would involve spawninvul adjustments, as part of winning in combat generally involves you killing atleast once full spawn of the enemy, which is nearly impossible atm. Beyond that I would seriously consider removing the hydra, or atleast making it so that they do not persist once your no longer a gorge.

Making it so the CC/Hive are not repairable would make zergging 100x worse IMO, as people would just non-stop suicide those structures to kill them.
  • Who is Mike Jones?Who is Mike Jones? Join Date: 2011-10-29 Member: 130080Members
    I seen the upgrade bars for marines and wanted to know what are the specs for those. I would like to redesign some.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Wery good job on last update. The spawn seems to be fixed and exo/ono cap seems to be good move. Re-buy option is also very handy option. Had fun 10vs10 match today and I have enjoyed it!
  • =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    sounds good put something like 1-2 min cool down timer if you lose your onos or exo and the idea off take out the duel exo i am all in fore it ,, and ofc the healing/welding should have a reduce the value its bit to fast now

it is still a problem whit 5 players on the server to get onos or exo you can stil go onos/exo as 2 vs 2

keep up the good work <3

peace and love Mr.P server :)
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2021385:date=Nov 13 2012, 01:00 AM:name=Who is Mike Jones?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Who is Mike Jones? @ Nov 13 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2021385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I seen the upgrade bars for marines and wanted to know what are the specs for those. I would like to redesign some.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The experience bars are in .png or .dds format and have to have a transparent background. That's about the only constraint. We've found that they work best when the bar is scaled to roughly the right aspect ratio as our one is displayed on the screen or you get scaling issues. So our current textures are 256x30 pixels. There's one texture for the un-filled bar and another for the filled one.
    new version of combat is now live, server hosts please update!

• kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited November 2012
    Was playing on your server last night, not sure if you remember but had a bug with pistol - after emptying the clip it would reload but not let you fire any more, weapons switch would let you fire until you needed to reload again. Primary weapon was unaffected. Not sure if it a combat bug or 229 bug - I didnt have time to play on "non" combat
  • Kirby_Q(°_o)Kirby_Q(°_o) Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166716Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2018644:date=Nov 10 2012, 08:37 PM:name=Kirby_Q(°_o))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kirby_Q(°_o) @ Nov 10 2012, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2018644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->where will we find the changelogg?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

still can't find them >.>
    edited November 2012
    Erk, sorry for the delay. I'll post a big changelog tomorrow morning. I've just not had time to write it up yet.
    edited November 2012
    Okay... so here's the big old changelog. This covers everything from V1.2 to V2.0 of Combat...

<b>Fixes</b>
    <ul><li>Fixed players being invulnerable after respawning.</li><li>Fixed players not being able to heal the hive with heal spray.</li><li>Fixed gorges not being able to build hydras.</li><li>Fixed support for the 'changemap' command for server operators.</li><li>Fixed the reload animations for all weapons. Re-enabled the 'fast reload' ability.</li><li>Fixed all the Alien icons in the buy menu.</li><li>Fixed spawning! You should no longer ever be stuck waiting to spawn for longer than 10 seconds.</li><li>Fixed an issue where players were losing upgrades when they bought tier 2 and tier 3 at the same time.</li><li>Fixed an issue where localised text was not displaying correctly on clients.</li><li>Removed an annoying 'Research Complete' sound that kept playing.</li><li>Fixed the focus ability. We're still working on bringing back EMP and Ink.</li><li>Fixed an issue where pistols would not fire again after reloading.</li><li>General performance improvements on large player-count servers.</li></ul>
    <b>New features</b>
    <ul><li>Players can now level up to level 13!</li><li>Added a level up cinematic (sound and visual) so that you can tell when a player levels up.</li><li>Added a new spawn protection cinematic for the aliens. It should be much easier to tell which skulks are invulnerable now.</li><li>Added a Halloween mode, with a burning onos. He's gone now, but you might see him next year!</li><li>Added teleporter entities for mappers to use. See them in use on ns2_co_stargate!</li><li>Added a hard-cap mechanism. Certain abilities are locked to a certain proportion of your team, so that e.g. not everyone chooses Exo!</li><li>Added a refund button for aliens and marines. Click on it and you will get your upgrade points refunded. It will also kill you, in order to stop exploits.</li><li>Added a visual display for the game time limit.</li><li>Improved the balance between Exos and Oni.</li><li>Increased CC/Hive health and decreased the weld/heal rate for the CC and Hive.</li></ul>
    <b>Dedicated Server changes</b>
    <ul><li><i>We've added a few changes to support dual-mode Combat and Vanilla servers:</i></li><li>Added a new console command and web admin command <b>co_mod_active</b>. Setting this to false will disable combat mode temporarily on the next map change until it is changed back. Set it to true to get Combat back again.</li><li>Added a new console command and web admin command <b>co_mod_player_threshold</b>. Setting this to a value above 0 will allow dual-mode Vanilla and Combat play. At the end of each round, if the server's player count is higher than this value it will switch to regular NS2 for the next round, but if the player count is lower than the threshold it will switch back to Combat mode.</li><li>Added a new console command and web admin command <b>co_mod_timelimit</b> (default is 1500 seconds). Use this to change the Combat timelimit on your server. You can change it in the middle of a game and it will take effect immediately.</li></ul>
  • Kirby_Q(°_o)Kirby_Q(°_o) Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166716Members
    Thx for the log.

Ive noticed, that a Lerk with Fokus doesnt get the speed while he flights, as he hasnt fokus upgraded.

Is this working as intended or a bug?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2024323:date=Nov 15 2012, 10:42 AM:name=kk20)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kk20 @ Nov 15 2012, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024323"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Was playing on your server last night, not sure if you remember but had a bug with pistol - after emptying the clip it would reload but not let you fire any more, weapons switch would let you fire until you needed to reload again. Primary weapon was unaffected. Not sure if it a combat bug or 229 bug - I didnt have time to play on "non" combat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Had this ourselves yesterday, I tested in 229 and it is definitely a combat only bug affecting the pistol.

It seems to happen 100% of the time too...
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Mhm I played yesterday combat and had no problems with reloadig.
    <!--quoteo(post=2025615:date=Nov 16 2012, 01:14 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Nov 16 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mhm I played yesterday combat and had no problems with reloadig.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can confirm this have been happening to me as well 100% of the time.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=2025615:date=Nov 16 2012, 01:14 PM:name=JimWest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JimWest @ Nov 16 2012, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mhm I played yesterday combat and had no problems with reloadig.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is no problem with reloading.. Empty your pistol clip, let the pistol reload, then try and fire... you can't unless you switch to another weapon and then back to pistol. It is not an occasional bug, it is 100% of the time for 100% of the people :D
    I thought I fixed that this morning... I'll take another look!