K/D why is it still in game?

CeriCeri Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159713Members
edited September 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Is there any reason?</div>Hi, what is the reason to show K/D ingame?

Like NS1, NS2 is a teamplay game where people should look to play for their team like tfc.
In some games i see people leaving because their K/D is going worser and worser.
In other games i listen to people complaining their stat is going down. Its useless but many people seems to see something like counterstrike in this... i got more kills, im better than you all.
No one will win a game alone in NS.

Comments

• KopikatKopikat Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158170Members
    edited September 2012
    Hm...well, since res for kill is gone, I guess K/D doesn't really matter so much since it already tracks points.

But if it wasn't in, then people would complain that it's not in. Also, I guess it helps the Comm a bit. If there's two people in trouble on opposite ends of the map but one has a 24/3 ratio while the other has 2/18 but you only have enough time/tres to drop equipment for one of them...well...
  • RubilacRubilac Join Date: 2011-09-18 Member: 121881Members
    100% agree. KPD per player has no constructive value in the RTSFPS genre like NS2. Remove it from score page, and leave it for the counterstrike/cod players.

KPD does, and will always affect players attitude in the game. Get rid of it now rather than later.
  • RubilacRubilac Join Date: 2011-09-18 Member: 121881Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978876:date=Sep 17 2012, 01:49 AM:name=Kopikat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kopikat @ Sep 17 2012, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978876"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But if it wasn't in, then people would complain that it's not in. Also, I guess it helps the Comm a bit. If there's two people in trouble on opposite ends of the map but one has a 24/3 ratio while the other has 2/18 but you only have enough time/tres to drop equipment for one of them...well...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then show it to the commander alone.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i'm not keen about KDR either (it usually drops if you take risks for the bigger cause) but removing it from the game would probably piss of a lot of players.
    also: yes there are no res for kills, but you do not gather any ressources while dead. so the more you kill, the more res is denied for the opponents.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978881:date=Sep 17 2012, 08:54 AM:name=Rubilac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rubilac @ Sep 17 2012, 08:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then show it to the commander alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is getting a bit speculative, but I do read it as a field marine quite a bit also. If there are good fraggers on the team, I might stick back and put more focus on protecting nodes and such. If I'm the only one delivering damage, I tend to be where I can mess up the alien game and draw their focus on me so that the less precise marine buddies can get their stuff done without so many aliens interfering.

I think in general it's a very simple and effective 'why did we lose/win' kind of feedback.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Its in game so the player doesn't have to manually write down every time he kills someone and every time he dies. Like it or not, the player wants the information so you might as well give it to him.
  • Raven_XIRaven_XI Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12032Members, Constellation
    Are you kidding? Looking at my K/D ratio is what makes me feel good about my pathetic existence.
  • WackOhWackOh Join Date: 2004-07-25 Member: 30100Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978893:date=Sep 17 2012, 04:17 AM:name=Raven_XI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raven_XI @ Sep 17 2012, 04:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you kidding? Looking at my K/D ratio is what makes me feel good about my pathetic existence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where is the 'like' button :P
  • CeriCeri Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159713Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1978893:date=Sep 17 2012, 01:17 AM:name=Raven_XI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raven_XI @ Sep 17 2012, 01:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you kidding? Looking at my K/D ratio is what makes me feel good about my pathetic existence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hihi :)
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    K/D ratio is a simple tool for estimating a limited aspect of player/team performance. Sure, it misses most of the subtleties as NS2 is a pretty complex game, but it still serves a purpose. Suggesting that the K/D should be removed just because of e-peen boosting idiots is, in my opinion, useless. If a player doesn't understand the game, removing that statistic is not going to help much. I've yet to see any tangible problems caused by the K/D ratio. Please point to any real world examples and their frequency, if such examples can be found?
    <!--quoteo(post=1978898:date=Sep 17 2012, 01:30 AM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Sep 17 2012, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->K/D ratio is a simple tool for estimating a limited aspect of player/team performance. Sure, it misses most of the subtleties as NS2 is a pretty complex game, but it still serves a purpose. Suggesting that the K/D should be removed just because of e-peen boosting idiots is, in my opinion, useless. If a player doesn't understand the game, removing that statistic is not going to help much. I've yet to see any tangible problems caused by the K/D ratio. Please point to any real world examples and their frequency, if such examples can be found?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

which performance do you mean?

The performance of the guy lerking in a corner killing marines for their K/D ... the gorge building his fortress and ###### on the commander?
    Or the guy who plays for the game fighting in hard situations dying often but brings the team the victory because he and several others pushing the other team out of critical spots?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I suppose the most amicable solution would be to simply only display it to the player, so they can see thier own KDR... but hide it from everyone else.

KDR just makes for all these xyz is cheating look at his KDR threads, it also allows for players to get bullied ... hey look at NSPlayer236, he sucks get him off the server he cant play and is gimping the team.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    I don't think it's wise to break a trend that has been present in every single fps multiplayer game that has ever existed. (and with good reason)
    There are just to many positive aspects of having K/D shown.
    <!--quoteo(post=1978916:date=Sep 17 2012, 02:01 AM:name=wiry)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wiry @ Sep 17 2012, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There are just to many positive aspects of having K/D shown.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats my question... can you show me some postive aspects? I dont see any.
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1978903:date=Sep 17 2012, 11:39 AM:name=Ceri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ceri @ Sep 17 2012, 11:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978903"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->which performance do you mean?

The performance of the guy lerking in a corner killing marines for their K/D ... the gorge building his fortress and ###### on the commander?
    Or the guy who plays for the game fighting in hard situations dying often but brings the team the victory because he and several others pushing the other team out of critical spots?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It offers a limited glimpse into the ratio of wins/losses in engagements and into time spent respawning vs respawn time inflicted on opposing players. Having that K/D ratio available allows players to evaluate performance in that limited part of the game.

Also, please tell me how removing K/D would help in your examples? Noob gorges are noob gorges, and a lerk doing kills is probably doing his share, since it is mostly a support lifeform and hard to frag with. Sure, some roles get better K/D ratio, but people do take that into account. Any understanding of how NS2 works will come with the understanding that K/D ratio doesn't tell the whole picture. How is presenting this information harmful to the game?
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    Please try and remember, that despite being an FPS/RTS hybrid, NS2 is still mostly an FPS (with the devs focus on it being mostly FPS).

Being great at killing the other team and rarely dieing is the biggest way you can impact the game at the moment.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1978917:date=Sep 17 2012, 09:04 AM:name=Ceri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ceri @ Sep 17 2012, 09:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats my question... can you show me some postive aspects? I dont see any.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh how about I enjoy looking at it?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1978922:date=Sep 17 2012, 02:11 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Sep 17 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please try and remember, that despite being an FPS/RTS hybrid, NS2 is still mostly an FPS (with the devs focus on it being mostly FPS).

Being great at killing the other team and rarely dieing is the biggest way you can impact the game at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can frag all day, but if you don't make certain pushes at the right times or attack the right structures with teamwork, your kills are wasted.
    <!--quoteo(post=1978922:date=Sep 17 2012, 12:11 PM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Sep 17 2012, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Being great at killing the other team and rarely dieing is the biggest way you can impact the game at the moment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kinda disagree with that oversimplified statement. There are a huge number of ways that are more beneficial currently. For instance, sneaking a lethal PG near to a hive or ninjaing down upgrade chambers are both endeavours that often end in a 0/1 K/D and are very beneficial to the team. Running around building extractors while your team is pressuring a key part of the map is more important.

But whether or not you are in the right place at the right time doing that great killing and rare dying is not however something that is simple to track, so we should just settle for the best option available: K/D ratio.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think K/D as well as score, i.e what we have currently is the best solution
    <!--quoteo(post=1978931:date=Sep 17 2012, 10:24 AM:name=Squirreli_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli_ @ Sep 17 2012, 10:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kinda disagree with that oversimplified statement. There are a huge number of ways that are more beneficial currently. For instance, sneaking a lethal PG near to a hive or ninjaing down upgrade chambers are both endeavours that often end in a 0/1 K/D and are very beneficial to the team. Running around building extractors while your team is pressuring a key part of the map is more important.

But whether or not you are in the right place at the right time doing that great killing and rare dying is not however something that is simple to track, so we should just settle for the best option available: K/D ratio.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are using situational examples to argue against a blank statement, this is pointless.

No matter what you do in NS2, being better at killing and not dieing helps. This is non-situational and always true.

If you are sneaking to get a PG, not only is your ability to not die / kill important (you might be spotted at some point and have to fight) but the better your team is at killing/ not dieing, the more pressure it puts on the other team (less people on the field, more focus elsewhere). In the end, whether you are pushing a hive constantly fighting, or sneaking PGs, killing upgrade chambers, being better at killing makes you better at that job and improves your chances.

In the end, K/D ratio is here to stay and is important in NS2. We will always have people crying when they feel upset by it somehow though. Sigh.
    <!--quoteo(post=1978927:date=Sep 17 2012, 10:17 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Sep 17 2012, 10:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can frag all day, but if you don't make certain pushes at the right times or attack the right structures with teamwork, your kills are wasted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can make strategical pushes, but if you cant kill the other team and you have lost the match, your strategy is wasted.

See how useless situational examples are?
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1978946:date=Sep 17 2012, 02:42 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Sep 17 2012, 02:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can make strategical pushes, but if you cant kill the other team and you have lost the match, your strategy is wasted.

See how useless situational examples are?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. Both elements are needed in order to attain victory. Pricing one over the other is not my point at all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1978947:date=Sep 17 2012, 10:45 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Sep 17 2012, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Both elements are needed in order to attain victory. Pricing one over the other is not my point at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    False. Strategically pushing/rushing/sneaking is needed sometimes (in high-level play). Being good at killing is required at all times, which is why I stated it was the largest factor in success. Even when you are being strategical, you are still partially dependant upon your ability to kill.

NS2 in its current form is mostly decided by who kills who better/faster. There is nothing wrong with that, its an FPS. Strategy is always advantageous in FPS games.
    @Argathor: I in no way support the removal of K/D. I get what you are saying and to a great extent I agree. However I think that the original statement "Being great at killing the other team and rarely dieing is the biggest way you can impact the game at the moment." is an oversimplification, which I tried to point out with a few "situational examples". Sure, a good K/D reflects a degree of success in what the player is doing on the field, and with experience often come both higher K/D and deeper understanding of the game. Still, K/D covers only a part of the game, and there are a multitude of tasks that are very important and that don't have that much to do with K/D. Oh well, maybe this is more nitpicking than anything productive, and maybe this thread is doomed ;)
    <!--quoteo(post=1978949:date=Sep 17 2012, 02:54 AM:name=Argathor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Argathor @ Sep 17 2012, 02:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->False. Strategically pushing/rushing/sneaking is needed sometimes (in high-level play). Being good at killing is required at all times, which is why I stated it was the largest factor in success. Even when you are being strategical, you are still partially dependant upon your ability to kill.

NS2 in its current form is mostly decided by who kills who better/faster. There is nothing wrong with that, its an FPS. Strategy is always advantageous in FPS games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't really know the definition of strategy then. I think what you're referring to is "good" strategy. Doing anything at all towards trying to further your win would be considered part of your strategy. Pretty much any of your actions could be included.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agD_KfAhD2s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agD_KfAhD2s</a>

Perfect example of Archaea's excellent FPS skills doing absolutely nothing to aid them in winning.
    I think we both believe the same thing in the end.

There are lots of ways you can effect games that do not (always) directly involve killing. There are many many more ways you can effect the game that do involve killing. Being good at killing helps you far more frequently than anything else and also helps you perform other tasks.

What I do not understand is the general dislike people seem to have for admitting how important it is. It baffles me!

P.S. None of this is a criticism of NS2. I love it and think it successfully adds a little more strategy to the FPS genre.
    You have to kill in order to gain ground and hold ground. It's very important. But I still feel that given this is an RTS/FPS hybrid both shooting and strategy are equally important.
  • Mr.GreedyMr.Greedy Join Date: 2012-07-21 Member: 154270Members
    edited September 2012
    The whole Scoreboard-system is broken. Whats the target of the scoreboard. To show you how usefull some players are for the team? Its dont working like this.

Give gorges some points for healing and supporting. Doing some dmg with Hydras (without killing) could also give some points. Same thing to weld something or someone as a Marine. Rewards this actions plz.

There are a lot of other examples like: 3 guys atacking a building at same time = only 1 get points. 3 Guys building something = only 1 get points. Whats the sense of it?

Also: give points for doing dmg instead of kills. There is no fairness to give points only to the guy who did the "last dmg" .
    <!--quoteo(post=1978952:date=Sep 17 2012, 11:02 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Sep 17 2012, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agD_KfAhD2s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agD_KfAhD2s</a>

Perfect example of Archaea's excellent FPS skills doing absolutely nothing to aid them in winning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We both know that for every game in which the team with the best K/D ratio lost, there are many more examples where they won*.

Barring points in the games history (and future) where, due to the spawning system, one team can sustain a bad K/D ratio and still play comfortably.

<!--quoteo(post=1978954:date=Sep 17 2012, 11:08 AM:name=Locklear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Locklear @ Sep 17 2012, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1978954"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You have to kill in order to gain ground and hold ground. It's very important. But I still feel that given this is an RTS/FPS hybrid both shooting and strategy are equally important.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This might be true if NS2 was an equal split between FPS and RTS, it is not. The design document clearly stated FPS was the focus and it is obviously from the lackluster implementation of the RTS side.

I don't think this is a criticism of NS2 though. I think they have found the right balance, otherwise we would never be able to find commanders!