Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 236 is now live on Steam!

Comments

• VitdomVitdom Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151345Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited January 2013
    Ok, it must be your Client Predict VM calling this function: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=126688&view=findpost&p=2054399" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2054399</a>

So we can conclude that the combination of walljumping + celerity + maybe leap will potentially cause your speed to exceed 30, and that it isn't really an issue. So the "system crash!", very serious and scary looking unnecessary error message should be removed. :P
  • current1yoldcurrent1yold Join Date: 2012-09-10 Member: 158911Members
    I'm loving the gorge spit changes. It's nice to be able to solo a marine if you get the jump on him as gorge.
  • VolcanoVolcano Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112496Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=2061779:date=Jan 17 2013, 01:41 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Jan 17 2013, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, it must be your Client Predict VM calling this function: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=126688&view=findpost&p=2054399" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=2054399</a>

So we can conclude that the combination of walljumping + celerity + maybe leap will potentially cause your speed to exceed 30, and that it isn't really an issue. So the "system crash!", very serious and scary looking unnecessary error message should be removed. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My frame rate during this dropped to 1-5fps from 70 odd, so there's something else wrong apart from some scary text
  • ahhoahho Join Date: 2003-02-22 Member: 13854Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061799:date=Jan 16 2013, 11:57 PM:name=Volcano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Volcano @ Jan 16 2013, 11:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061799"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My frame rate during this dropped to 1-5fps from 70 odd, so there's something else wrong apart from some scary text<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this update does take quite a hit on performance. Though my comp is not great and I always play with ######ty graphics. Now it is unplayable for me
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love this patch, so much optimization. The game feels so much smoother now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jippi :D
  • NSPNSP Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22656Members
    if you dont place cysts correctly you arent able to cyst to some res points - e.g. the crossroads one. dont know if thats a 'bug' in the map, or a 'bug' in the decision to limit the cyst distance to whatever it is now.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2061234:date=Jan 16 2013, 03:32 AM:name=KilledByDeath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KilledByDeath @ Jan 16 2013, 03:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061234"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ahahaha this patch is hilarious. I mean like holy crap guys

"So Aliens are getting close to a flat 70% winrate, what do we do?"
    "Let's buff Gorgres and Lerks!"
    "######ING BRILLIANT"

I don't even want to go Marines anymore, it's clear they want one side to be the whipping boys here so why play as them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

buff aliens? They just fixed the skulk hitbox as well as ensure marines with higher latency still shoot the correct number of bullets...

Buff the gorge... its spit wasn't registering correctly...
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061712:date=Jan 17 2013, 11:20 AM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 17 2013, 11:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061712"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree and disagree. I'll agree that there are many who die because they have problems tracking and aiming at fast moving targets. (especially new players versus experienced skulks)

However, hit registration issues are *still* present in the game. I've been in third person spec and seen 4 people trying to kill a skulk, and I could see they were pointing close enough to score some hits (since there is a bullet spread with the LMG) - but the skulk just wasn't dying. Skip ahead to another game on another server and people are having no problems at all. This is happening with 'vets' as well, so skill can't be claimed as a factor.

I'm hoping that one of these days something will click and I'll get a clue as to why it happens. Right now I am still scratching my head since I can't reproduce it with any certainty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When people say aliens are OP'd I really wonder if they ever play on servers with a high level of base skill.
    Thanks to Monash Uni (and Endar) there have been 2+ servers pretty much all the way through the beta up to now (including a 100 player game at one point for S & G's).
    Monash seems to have a good core group of players who know how to both play and shoot and have been playing for a long time.

When I go and play on offical servers of kiwi servers the standard or marine is hugely different.
    I can run in and kill 3-4 marines and not die...when the reg's are on monash I will struggle to kill 1 before I die.
    So this whole l2p claim does have some merit.

Lets not forget the change in win loss that came about with out any balance changes when we went retail.

In relation to people expecting this to be a massive patch with upgrades, you have gotten the wrong end of the stick.
    They said they would not be doing the weekly patches we had gotten used ot in the lead up and then launch...but working on bigger patches (with possible smaller performance improvement patches).
    This patch was never touted to be the big patch (and those with memory of beta days recalls how long patches used to take in the early days) but rather they told us they where changing from a weekly patch update to less frequent so they could start working on features that are still on to do list.

UWE, the testers etc have done a great job in delivering another patch, changes so far seem to be ok.
    Glad to see instant receeding of infestation was not brought in.
    Little disappointed about vent removal from cafe.....I actually thing both cafe and terminal are too marine friendly as they have only 2 entrances (technically 3 on terminal but 2 doors are next to each other) which makes it easy for marines to defend (similar issues on operations on mineshaft map...only 2 entrances allows for easy turles).

Hit reg has definately improved....using walls no longer helps a skulk survive as easily.

I would like to see a message to notify of players a concede vote has been initiated.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061754:date=Jan 17 2013, 04:25 AM:name=MrChoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MrChoke @ Jan 17 2013, 04:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright how about this then. 13 games. 12 alien wins. Good yet? I am done with this game. In the history of 30 years of gaming, I have never seen a game so imbalanced as this one for so long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How many asymmetric games have you played in 30 years of gaming? Oh, none? How quaint.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2061823:date=Jan 17 2013, 01:59 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 17 2013, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When people say aliens are OP'd I really wonder if they ever play on servers with a high level of base skill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Where did I say aliens were OP? I said there are still hit registration issues. That has zero to do with skill and everything to do with how shots are registered on a target. As I have said before, this can vary from server to server, and is independent of skill.

I know a good player when I meet him, and I know when I've been beat. I also know when I should have gotten a kill and I didn't. Frankly I really think part of this issue may involve just how fast some of the alien classes move, and the means in which the response is processed by the server. Despite marines being easier to kill at the start of the game (only 2 bites) I seem to find less troubles with hit registration then than in the later game.

So please, none of this 'aliens OP' stuff, since that's not what this is about.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=2061789:date=Jan 17 2013, 12:33 AM:name=current1y)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (current1y @ Jan 17 2013, 12:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm loving the gorge spit changes. It's nice to be able to solo a marine if you get the jump on him as gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I've done this, and it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. And here I thought the gorge was supposed to be a support class.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061830:date=Jan 16 2013, 09:10 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 16 2013, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've done this, and it doesn't make a lick of sense to me. And here I thought the gorge was supposed to be a support class.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Engie in TF2 is a support class, but that doesnt stop me from shotgunning soldiers and demos down when defending my sentry

Support =/= unable to fight
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061773:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:03 PM:name=Vitdom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vitdom @ Jan 16 2013, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061773"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"system crash" we meet again!

Is it a listen server? Were you wall jumping and did you have celerity?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    im getting crashing so bad i have to hard shut down my computer when i exit NS2 sometimes
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2061831:date=Jan 17 2013, 12:12 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Jan 17 2013, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Engie in TF2 is a support class, but that doesnt stop me from shotgunning soldiers and demos down when defending my sentry

Support =/= unable to fight<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you're not gonna win a fight with Savant... but I do agree with you Benson
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I got some crashing when I first loaded up after the patch

Couldn't even verify my steam cache (stayed at 0%)

Deleted all local game content and redownload, and this seems to solve all my crashing issues
    <!--quoteo(post=2061831:date=Jan 17 2013, 02:12 AM:name=Benson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Jan 17 2013, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Engie in TF2 is a support class, but that doesnt stop me from shotgunning soldiers and demos down when defending my sentry. Support =/= unable to fight<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I never said it did. Support ≠ unable to fight, but support ≠ front line infantry either. When you have a class that can self-heal, you don't give it the ability to start running around soloing everything.

Even the competitive players agree that this is OP now.

Was the fix to hit registration for the gorge needed? Sure. However they now need to revisit the gorge to rebalance it.
  • rizza18rizza18 Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180094Members
    Well that ######s me to tears, NS has always been my favorite game...especially recently with NS2 since CSGO has gone to ######. Now after this patch, I can't enjoy my favorite game (NS2) anymore...these new skulk hitboxes are retarded, the map changes are all in aliens favor who already had an advantage. Well unbalanced now...thanks team.

Will be waiting for another big update before playing, this is majorly upsetting
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Lol, a month since release says the hater. Priceless. Obviously a serious player.

So if they have lived a month whilst the rest of us 6 1/2 weeks, which one of us is moving faster through time?

Well, it's the person sitting still that moves more through time (Relative to him, something moving fast will appear to have a slower ticking clock). Get out of the house hater, get some fresh air :)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Savant wasn't ott much at all this time, indeed they made a good suggestion: Revist the gorge *after* you fixed the code.

(Untill the "Even the competitive players agree that this is OP now." comment, when the more likely truth is: If a generic NS2 pubber saw a NS2 comp player IT WOULD BE ON LIKE DONKEY KONG !!)
  • KilledByDeathKilledByDeath Join Date: 2012-12-26 Member: 176308Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2061825:date=Jan 16 2013, 10:06 PM:name=|strofix|)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (|strofix| @ Jan 16 2013, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How many asymmetric games have you played in 30 years of gaming? Oh, none? How quaint.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So asymmetric game is enough to justify one of the two races being gimped in every way huh
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but the loading screen minimap is the old one. (For docking)
    <!--quoteo(post=2061880:date=Jan 17 2013, 09:10 AM:name=KilledByDeath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KilledByDeath @ Jan 17 2013, 09:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So asymmetric game is enough to justify one of the two races being gimped in every way huh<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The guy is going off the deep end because, for the first time in his illustrious gaming career, he is playing a game in which it is actually possible to have extreme balance issues (not that there are, but there is the potential). Comparing the challenges faced by NS2 with regards to balance to any other game before it would be folly. They simply cannot be compared.

When you play NS2, you get something that basically no other game can provide; true asymmetry. But in order to experience this rare thing, there is a price. The game is essentially impossible to balance perfectly, and even if balance doe get close to that point, it won't be achieved quickly.
  • CiroCiro Join Date: 2013-01-09 Member: 178392Members
    In most matches, aliens have a stronger early game with gorges. In pub, the games getting boring. Either the aliens win off a strong early game or marines win off a surviving till arcs/exos/jps/turrets(yes, turrets!).

The minimum distance between cyst needs to be decreased.

I hope it gets better.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061829:date=Jan 17 2013, 03:09 PM:name=Savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Savant @ Jan 17 2013, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061829"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where did I say aliens were OP? I said there are still hit registration issues. That has zero to do with skill and everything to do with how shots are registered on a target. As I have said before, this can vary from server to server, and is independent of skill.

I know a good player when I meet him, and I know when I've been beat. I also know when I should have gotten a kill and I didn't. Frankly I really think part of this issue may involve just how fast some of the alien classes move, and the means in which the response is processed by the server. Despite marines being easier to kill at the start of the game (only 2 bites) I seem to find less troubles with hit registration then than in the later game.

So please, none of this 'aliens OP' stuff, since that's not what this is about.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So not being able to hit aliens makes marines underpowered but aliens are not? I extrapolated out granted but I still stand by the statement.

Sorry but I dont think anyone believes 3rd person view gives you enough of an idea where people are aiming...otherwise people would not say we need 1st person to work out aimbotters.

I think you miss your own point, you change servers and the issue hitting skulks is not apparent....I would suggest you have played against servers filled with people who cant aim and then inversly can aim.

You claim hit reg is easier early over later, that screams server performance issues (ticks dropping down to even 20 makes aiming a lot harder) rather than an actual issues with hit reg itself.
    Server has more entities and it slows down as the game progresses...I see it often on some servers in aus that got set up after the beta.
    <!--quoteo(post=2061891:date=Jan 17 2013, 09:43 AM:name=Ciro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ciro @ Jan 17 2013, 09:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In most matches, aliens have a stronger early game with gorges. In pub, the games getting boring. Either the aliens win off a strong early game or marines win off a surviving till arcs/exos/jps/turrets(yes, turrets!).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've noticed the complete opposite. Vanilla marines are typically far stronger than skulks, and this trend tends to continue throughout the game at all tech progress points. The turn in the game comes with higher lifeforms. The aliens eventually get 3+ Onos and win all at once. The marines tend to win with ARCs and Exos when the alien team does nothing but save for Onos for 15 minutes then suicide them all at once.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weird bug, everything sounds super tinny and has tons of reverb... restart didn't fix it.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but gorge bile bomb damage over time is still putting it in 'combat' state.
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited January 2013
    .. repost .. network issue ...
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2061719:date=Jan 16 2013, 08:28 PM:name=Uh-Oh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uh-Oh @ Jan 16 2013, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2061719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Off to a great start on this patch.
    Maybe it's just on my side, but my LMG has conveniently decided to stop shooting 5 times during my first match.
    1. Hear a skulk.
    2. See a skulk.
    3. Shoot at the skulk.
    4. 10 bullets later (plenty still in the clip), gun decides it won't shoot anymore.
    5. Die.

I emptied 5 clips in the spawn without a problem, spinning around madly shooting the windows and floor. But as soon as I aim at an actual skulk, gun stops shooting after a few bullets.
    Ping is fine, FPS is fine, nothing on my side has changed, no mods, yada yada yada.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not a bug it's and feature... like in real life, when your gun jam.
    Buy flamethrower it uses liquid instead of solid bullets :D

>>> STILL MISSING "cancel" for Marine BEACON. <<<
  • cokeinmynosecokeinmynose Join Date: 2013-01-17 Member: 180139Members
    I don't wanna create a new topic just for this question, so I post it here since it is related to the new build.

What was the reason for swapping the evolve/upgrade icons when you press B as an alien? To me it doesn't matter really, but just out of curiosity, why? :)