Rebellion against the swear filter.

1235»

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1634315:date=Jun 18 2007, 04:04 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ Jun 18 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1634315[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Thansel, how else are people going to express irritation aside from blankly stating "I AM IRRITATED" if we don't have alternatives? There are different degrees. You're trying to portray emotion in language in black and white whereas it's much more of a gradual slope from pure white to absolute black.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not sure what you are talking about (probably just a miscomunication tbh). I was just ranting about how substituting one word for a different one (or a series of characters) really changes nothing, every one will still know exactly what you ment.

<!--quoteo(post=1634315:date=Jun 18 2007, 04:04 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ Jun 18 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]1634315[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Also, if you said "MUFFIN YOU" to me, I'd laugh. If you did it to the point where a fight broke out, it's not because the word muffin is offensive, it's because you as a person are.
    I fully agree (and would also laugh), and that was basicly my point.
    Out of curiosity: Would you really care if I said "**** You" to you?

It is kinda hard to explain my point as most of us in the forums probably don't care one way or another about swearing.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1634297:date=Jun 18 2007, 08:56 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Jun 18 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]1634297[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Good point

Moot point then.

dodging the question.

Basicly what I was tryign to point out is that if you substitute Duck/Muffin/Sugar/Farfenugen for swearing, but still don't use it it a context where swearing would be bad, it changes nothing.

Try telling a Professor to "duck off" over a grade he gave you on a paper, you will get in trouble.
    I didn't exactly say "f off" to my mom before the "duck off", so my point isn't moot.
    How did I dodge the third question? I'll say whatever I want in front of a kid, be it duck or the f-word.
    I'll try saying it to a teacher in a few months, I'm not in school atm. Would you like me to try saying it to a cop on his patrol? I'll run into those earlier. He can't do jack about it (guess what "jack" substitutes here? nobody cares about that "jack", but everyone knows it stands for something else).
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Out of curiosity: Would you really care if I said "**** You" to you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd think you were a jerkoff and you'd have a shorter fuse to blow me up rather than just being irritating without speaking.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1634320:date=Jun 18 2007, 04:30 PM:name=Rover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rover @ Jun 18 2007, 04:30 PM) [snapback]1634320[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I didn't exactly say "f off" to my mom before the "duck off", so my point isn't moot.
    How did I dodge the third question? I'll say whatever I want in front of a kid, be it duck or the f-word.
    I'll try saying it to a teacher in a few months, I'm not in school atm. Would you like me to try saying it to a cop on his patrol? I'll run into those earlier. He can't do jack about it (guess what "jack" substitutes here? nobody cares about that "jack", but everyone knows it stands for something else).
    The point I was basicly tryign to make was that if you scream duck or **** infront of a kid and his mum the mum will be likely equaly as ticked at you and give you jsut as dirty a look. If you just say "duck you" to a cop outta the blue he will probably look at you funny as there is no context. If you tell him to duck off when he is stoping you for a ticket/arresting you/what ever, he will probably not be happy with you (feel free to test this if you want). All I was pointing out is that there is no reall difference between the 2 under normal circumstances.

<!--quoteo(post=1634322:date=Jun 18 2007, 04:31 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ Jun 18 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]1634322[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I'd think you were a jerkoff and you'd have a shorter fuse to blow me up rather than just being irritating without speaking.
    ahh, mkay, good enough.
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1634330:date=Jun 18 2007, 10:41 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Jun 18 2007, 10:41 PM) [snapback]1634330[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    The point I was basicly tryign to make was that if you scream duck or **** infront of a kid and his mum the mum will be likely equaly as ticked at you and give you jsut as dirty a look. If you just say "duck you" to a cop outta the blue he will probably look at you funny as there is no context. If you tell him to duck off when he is stoping you for a ticket/arresting you/what ever, he will probably not be happy with you (feel free to test this if you want). All I was pointing out is that there is no reall difference between the 2 under normal circumstances.
    I'd care less if someone'd say "I ducked your mom" than the same thing with the f-word.

Thus: fail.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Well, this is really going off topic here. A topic like this would be more suited for the discussions forum with how heated you guys are getting into it. I am locking this thread as the original complaint has hopefully been taken care of and I don't want people to get confused here.
This discussion has been closed.