NS2HD NS2 Beta Tournament

Comments

• Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I guess you can add me as looking for a team, im US west coast with 215 hours of play in NS2
  • dnleechdnleech Join Date: 2005-02-02 Member: 39504Members
    Hey, guys. Veteran NS1 player with a lot of recent NS2 play under my belt looking for a team. US East with mic, great PC, etc. Look me up! =)

Leech
  • Cakekiller90Cakekiller90 Join Date: 2011-08-17 Member: 117100Members
    Due to the fact that i am the only cakekiller with NS2, i am forced to have to seek a union with outsiders
    i am also on the west coast of US, but i have less time played, as i sometimes cant get on, because of how late it is before i can get on, due to the fact that a family member takes the only computer to run this game, for endless hours of thier Facebooking, which i cant understand why
    but ill try to work around that for this tournament and destroy the enemys of the cakekillers once and for all, you would know who i was talking about if it was directed at any of you, in other words, the peoplle who know what im talking about know who they are
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1869679:date=Aug 17 2011, 04:05 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 17 2011, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869679"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm, doesn't that require cheats mode to be on?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nop, just the GmOvermind mod and this line in NS2GmOvrmind_Server.lua :

function NS2Gamerules:GetFriendlyFire()
    return true;
    end
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Actually just changing false to true in the game-rules Lua-file is sufficient. I suggested adding that script to NS2-GmOvrmind so it wouldn't be un-done when a new build is released (or you do an integrity-verification).
  • watewerwatewer Join Date: 2011-07-01 Member: 107351Members
    hi im watewer and im looking for team.
    Havent played ns2 mutch but im really wanting to get into it.
    Dont have any friends in ns2 so looking for new ones :)
    Im from europe/latvia
    Can play all day/night hours if needed.
    Have mic and ts or vent
    Add me on steam - watewer
    or contact me on skype - wattysc
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Added you to the front page watewer - there's a nice group of 'looking' growing there, I imagine there will be enough to form a whole team soon!

Regarding FF, I am not too keen on having it on. I want this tournament to be accessible to all especially viewers, not necessarily hardcore 'pro.' There will be other NS2 tournaments (Such as, I am guessing, ENSL) that will be more pro than this one.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    Atone looking for team.

- US East Coast
    - Played NS1 since 3.0
    - Play NS2 at least once a patch.
    - Not comfortable with NS2 commanding yet, but can take orders like a pro.
    - Got mic and and a good PC.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There's also issues with FF. For one, you can't use it in a marine base as all marine structures get caught on fire. And you can crash the server by killing the "scan" entity with the flamethrower. Not to mention skulks can't team up on a powernode. No to FF for now.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1869729:date=Aug 17 2011, 07:19 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 17 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's also issues with FF. For one, you can't use it in a marine base as all marine structures get caught on fire. And you can crash the server by killing the "scan" entity with the flamethrower. Not to mention skulks can't team up on a powernode. No to FF for now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I think it best to keep it as close to vanilla NS2 beta as possible. At most, I'd only support server patches/changes that fix major exploits, crashes, or bugs.
  • Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
    edited August 2011
    Looking for team.

Australian, east coast, primarily alien player but I can perform pretty well as a marine.

Self-proclaimed great commander, the only times I've ever screwed anything up was when I wasn't familiar with a certain build change, but you can be damn sure I'll learn the build played in the tournament inside out. Any international teams want a commander I can do that because lag isn't a problem.

If you want to contact me, use steam. GO into the "Friends" menu and hit "Add a friend" and add me with my steam id which is "ravemind"
  • WhiteWingWhiteWing Join Date: 2011-05-28 Member: 101387Members
    Personally I like the idea of keeping it a cash prize for the winners, at the very least to attract more players to the tournament.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So any decision on how EU/US/AU teams will be able to play each other fairly? Pings over 200 ms are a significant disadvantage. Alternating 2 rounds on each home server seems to be the only fair way.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869738:date=Aug 17 2011, 09:33 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 17 2011, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So any decision on how EU/US/AU teams will be able to play each other fairly? Pings over 200 ms are a significant disadvantage. Alternating 2 rounds on each home server seems to be the only fair way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only problem is that the teams are likely to split the wins then (i.e. team with the lowest ping favored to win) leading to a third tie-breaking round. The other option is pick a game stat used to break a tie in this case. I vote for using the combined game time of the two winning matches for each team, with the team with the quickest combined game time victories declared the winner. This would prevent the need for a 3rd tie-breaking round and encourage quick games, to cut down on the time-commitment and workload for Hugh.

Edit: Also, I see a lot of unaffiliated players interested in the tournament posting in this thread. Is there a way we could setup a website or even a steamgroup where unorganized players can sign up and are automatically organized into groups for the tournament?
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1869740:date=Aug 18 2011, 12:02 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 18 2011, 12:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other option is pick a game stat used to break a tie in this case. I vote for using the combined game time of the two winning matches for each team, with the team with the quickest combined game time victories declared the winner. This would prevent the need for a 3rd tie-breaking round and encourage quick games, to cut down on the time-commitment and workload for Hugh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great option !
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I like that quickest game time idea. Obviously not ideal for all types of tournaments, but for a 'cast' tournament like this it could work well. Thanks ScardyBob!

I removed all the information and rules from the OP and put them in a <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vJJbwHX4M8kBcRoYOhZl5TcpKIatTNsNkUGw9Lo7DmE/edit?hl=en_GB" target="_blank">google doc</a>, link on front page as well.

Does anyone know if it is possible to send receipt emails to a designated email address when you make a PayPal payment?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869740:date=Aug 18 2011, 05:02 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Aug 18 2011, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Only problem is that the teams are likely to split the wins then (i.e. team with the lowest ping favored to win) leading to a third tie-breaking round. The other option is pick a game stat used to break a tie in this case. I vote for using the combined game time of the two winning matches for each team, with the team with the quickest combined game time victories declared the winner. This would prevent the need for a 3rd tie-breaking round and encourage quick games, to cut down on the time-commitment and workload for Hugh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think winning fast is really a merit in RTS related games. In NS1 everyone would shotgun rush with such rule. It's definitely an option, but I don't think it encourages good play or rewards the better team. Notably it also rewards prolonging the round, so for example marine turtling can increase. If you want to showcase good play, consider picking some other rule.

Maybe have extra round with the time rule in place. At that point teams at least can play some good rounds and then play one where both teams are aware of the rule and play accordingly rather than fearing cheesy rushes each and every round. The prolonging issue still stays though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1869781:date=Aug 18 2011, 06:51 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 18 2011, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869781"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think winning fast is really a merit in RTS related games. In NS1 everyone would shotgun rush with such rule. It's definitely an option, but I don't think it encourages good play or rewards the better team. Notably it also rewards prolonging the round, so for example marine turtling can increase. If you want to showcase good play, consider picking some other rule.

Maybe have extra round with the time rule in place. At that point teams at least can play some good rounds and then play one where both teams are aware of the rule and play accordingly rather than fearing cheesy rushes each and every round. The prolonging issue still stays though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

we can't do a BO3, because alien are OP.

so if we do BO3, the team who play 2 time aliens win with 90% of chance.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    The only way to settle it is to host a gorge race!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Quote form the google doc.
    <!--QuoteBegin-"NS2HD"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("NS2HD")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Guest commentators may be present during the tournament! Nominate yourself in this thread if you’d like a go.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I nominate Kouji San! :)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869784:date=Aug 18 2011, 11:56 AM:name=PhYzor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhYzor @ Aug 18 2011, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869784"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we can't do a BO3, because alien are OP.

so if we do BO3, the team who play 2 time aliens win with 90% of chance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously 3 maps. 3rd being the sort of tie-breaker trying to force a quick ending through some deciding time measurement or such. I know it's some extra burden for the casters, but I'd say it's still better than risking games turning into cheesy rushfests every round.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    i thought the agreement was you have to win 2 games in a row.
    plus im looking for a team
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Ooh! Neat!

Sign me up as a free agent! I am from the EU.
  • Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    edited August 2011
    This sounds quite amusing.

If any team needs another Player from Austria ( the one below Germany, NOT Australia, please internet people, stop mixing those up.)

Little statement of mine: This idea is great! I also am blown away by the fact that so many people offered donations :)

Small additional detail: I am 15 years old. If you sort by age this might be interesting for you, if you do not sort by age, I am happy that
    my chances to join you are still the same.

regards,
    Megarith747
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    maby we could use the winnings to buy some people that dont have the money copys of the game then we would be donating and getting more people to play at the same time.
  • PeabushPeabush Join Date: 2007-07-13 Member: 61575Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Im also looking for a pub team to play with. Peabush (DK) :)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited August 2011
    A reminder that if you are finnish and would like to play (even only for this tournament) you can hook up with us in #team.fantasy @ Quakenet
  • NemaususNemausus Join Date: 2011-08-18 Member: 117214Members
    edited August 2011
    I would like to join in on the fun, however I have no team at the moment. I am from Australia (Perth) however I have had some good matches on the American servers when there are no players on Aus Pure so latency shouldn't be too much of an issue if server will be in the US for tournament (EU I have had problems, but not sure if server was bad or connection bad).

Am able to Marine/Alien comm decently, Aliens (Skulk/Gorge) well... I'm ok at Marines infantry but latency hurts aiming a lot which is why I usualy Marine comm so lag doesn't matter.
  • dark-nsdark-ns Join Date: 2008-02-24 Member: 63726Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Revolutionary Goldfish is in. <--- Darkeh ( USA )
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2011
    I nominate Kouji San as well! He should definetly be a commentator!!

Edit: Whose team Darkside? How can we contact them?
This discussion has been closed.