NS2HD NS2 Beta Tournament

Comments

• RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    I'm looking for a team aswell.

Canada, Eastern, english/french/22
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1870169:date=Aug 20 2011, 09:56 AM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Aug 20 2011, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, we have 16 Teams.

Did we have 4 groups (3 games for each team) for example then, were the the 1st and 2nd placed reach next round or have we a "real" ko-system, were the 1st gameloss is the end of tournament.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Groups that small are pointless. Make it double elimination (google it) if you want to make sure every team gets at least two matches.
  • LewinLewin Join Date: 2011-08-20 Member: 117573Members
    I'm looking for a team. I'm from Australia (east coast) and I speak English only.
    In-game name: Lumpy Porridge. Contact me if you're trying to form a team or want another team member.

Also: NS2HD, I'll donate $20 AUD to the prize pool :)
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited August 2011
    i say the last 2 teams should be left open for the people that dont have teams so the lone wolves!!!!
    only problem with that is i see one of the rules is you cannot subsitute players witch is too bad.
    woiuld be nice to have us with out teams to beable to play.

or here is an idea the lone wolves have a sub tournement to determ witch of them will be in this tournee!!!!
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Grapes of Doom* (EU)
    Public Disturbance (US)

Are the 2 lonewolf teams.

* Eu is not 100% since im still waiting on ppl switching the steam group >:-(
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    Hey Hugh,

So we have two pub teams ready to join

The first is a us one:

PUBlic Distrubance| Skymander | US/ CANADA

the second is the eu one

GRAPES OF DOOM| Koruyo | EU

look foward to playing in the tournament. thanks!
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    Hey Hugh,

So we have two pub teams ready to join

The first is a us one:

PUBlic Distrubance| Skymander | US/ CANADA

the second is the eu one

GRAPES OF DOOM| Koruyo | EU

look foward to playing in the tournament. thanks!
  • UnwoundpathUnwoundpath Join Date: 2011-01-17 Member: 77888Members
    Can someone put me in the US (PUBlic Distrubance) group? Don't kn0ow how on my own.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think its time for#156 to think about the 2nd team. We have 16 teams now. Tournament will start in maybe 2 weeks and im sure, there enough people to form another team.
    So please, be so kind.
  • Alpha.Alpha. Join Date: 2011-01-04 Member: 76186Members
    If another team joins this tourney - consider our 2nd team removed.

Regards
    #156.Alpha
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Join here the public EU team :

<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2PublicEU" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2PublicEU</a>

For the US :

<a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2PUBTEAM" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2PUBTEAM</a>
    Actually,

The EU link is correct.
    The US one is actually: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups//PUBlicDisturbance" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups//PUBlicDisturbance</a>

Also the one that you put on there for the US team: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2PUBTEAM" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/NS2PUBTEAM</a>, Is actually a group for creating more public teams and a place were the two teams we have now can talk.
  • RichardRahlRichardRahl Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104594Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870292:date=Aug 20 2011, 10:10 PM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Aug 20 2011, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The US one is actually: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups//PUBlicDisturbance" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups//PUBlicDisturbance</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that link does not work.

Sorry!
    An error was encountered while processing your request:

No group could be retrieved for the given URL.

Here's a link to the Steam Community home page.
    I'm sorry about that. Thanks for pointing that out though.

This one should work: <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PUBlicDistrubance/" target="_blank">http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PUBlicDistrubance/</a>

Copied it straight from the page.
  • Ender_74Ender_74 Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79329Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1870213:date=Aug 20 2011, 05:23 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Aug 20 2011, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->only problem with that is i see one of the rules is you cannot subsitute players witch is too bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

According to the rules :<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Teams may be made up of more than 6 people but - no subs during matches<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So it is my understanding that some members can differ from one match to another, but not during a match.

@NS2HD: Am I mistaken and you meant that the whole team has to remain unchanged during the whole tournament, or can replacement be done ?

Personally I'll be in favor or 4 groups of 4 teams. The two best of each group get promoted to the quarters. But that's 6x4+4+2+1=31 (+1 if you do a match for the third place)
    instead of the 15(+1) matches that NS2HD intended, and a massive increase of the number of casts he'll have to do. I do understand that he doesn't want that if he needs to cast it all.

We could have other people helping to cast the qualifications to the quarters, but it just wouldn't be the same.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thankyou for your donation Lewin! That is very generous.

<b>We now have 16 teams!</b>

Team #156 should be commended on entering two teams so early in the sign up process - They no doubt contributed to interest in the tournament. They have however kindly volunteered to give up their second slot should a 17th team be formed.

Thankyou to everyone (Koruyo especially?) responsible for organising the pub teams, they are a great addition to the tournament!

<b>Some rule clarification:</b>

This tournament is <b>knockout</b>. While in an ideal world, we would do qualifying rounds leading to a finals round, this NS2HD tournament is designed to happen over the course of three weekends. In future, I am sure a league will start up which will allow a richer competition. It's simply not feasible for me to cast a tournament that involves qualifying rounds.

Each 'round' is made up of 'matches' composed of 'games' (I know, you could have that other ways round...). Teams may substitute players between matches but not during matches/between games. This is not because I think subbing between games is bad, but to preserve organisational sanity and limit the players in a server to those playing and those recording.

<b>Some admin:</b>

The tournament will start (fingers crossed) on the 1/2 October with round 1. There will be eight matches in round 1. I will do my best to schedule them all on the one weekend, being consious of everyone's time zones.

Round 2 will be held on 8/9 October. There will be four matches in round 2.

Round 3 (semi finals) will be held on 15 October. There will be two matchs in round 3.

Round 4 (Grand Final) will be held on 16 October. There will be one grand final match, and one third place decider match.

I will spend the next month organising the tournament like a crazy ###### - so rest assured you will be provided with a calendar of matches, times, who you are playing, etc on this forum, by email, and on the NS2HD channel.

Wherever I can, I will organise matches to be at a reasonable hour.

I will soon send a questionaire to all team captains for them to fill out to allow me to organise the rounds.

<b>All team captains - Please send me an email at NS2HD@live.com.au. I need your contact details so that I can send out and collect information.</b>
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Double elimination would be ideal, helping to ensure a good final and giving all the teams at least two games.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I would love to see double elimination aswell.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I liked the idea behind double elimination, but I understand the extra effort involved in casting additional games. How about having double elimination but only cast the games where a team stands a chance of elimination?
  • princessprincess Yaaar&#33; Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    YO Community is looking forward to some public humiliation - thanks for organising all this!

Just for your records, YO are a UK based group with a couple of people from Euro-land.
  • brechtosbrechtos Belgium Join Date: 2008-04-18 Member: 64100Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Something tells me that this is going to be quite epic^^
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1870331:date=Aug 21 2011, 03:15 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Aug 21 2011, 03:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1870331"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Each 'round' is made up of 'matches' composed of 'games' (I know, you could have that other ways round...). Teams may substitute players between matches but not during matches/between games. This is not because I think subbing between games is bad, but to preserve organisational sanity and limit the players in a server to those playing and those recording.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just to make sure I understand, a game is a single play of NS2 between two teams, a match is a series of games until one team is declared the victory (by winning two games in a row), and a round is all the matches for all the teams until each match has a winner? So, for example, between the semi-final and final rounds, a team could sub a player, but during a match in the semi-final round, no subs are allowed?
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    We have team that would like to participate.
    Were named NoName (for the moment) and I can take the captain for our team.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Boxer is team captain for Dark Side.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2011
    You've got it ScardyBob :)

Swalk - let me know when you are confirmed as having a team ready. Added the name Kalabalana.

<b>All team captains, please send an email to NS2HD@live.com.au</b> I need your contact details for info collection / organisational purposes.

EDIT: Can someone elaborate on how double elimination could work?
  • KynKyn Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75835Members
    I'm looking for a Pub team. I mostly stay positive in pub matches and I follow orders like a dog. (What good is a leader if he has no followers willing to follow orders?) I live in Vegas and only speak English. I really want to play in this tournament, I often get bored with disorganized NS2 Pub matches. Steam name is the same as my forum name. See you guys out there.
  • Lego BankaiLego Bankai Join Date: 2010-03-13 Member: 70947Members
    I Can offer T-shirts to the winning team, if someone fancies knocking up a design?
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I'll put in $25, godd luck to all teams :)
    Thankyou Tempest! That's very kind - the pool has reached a sweet new milestone!

Lego Bankai - That would be very cool. I'll see about getting a design done up, stay in contact?

Kyn - Added you to the list, check out that link Koruyo posted (it's in the OP)
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited August 2011
    Hugh, here's a double elimination bracket I found online: <a href="http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbrackets/16teamdouble.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.printyourbrackets.com/pdfbracke...6teamdouble.pdf</a>

When a team loses in the top bracket they get moved down into the lower bracket and get a chance to continue in the tournament. The team that loses match 1 goes down to L1 and plays against the loser of match 2 (L2). The winner of that match goes on to play the loser of match 16 and so on.

Also, if one team manages to make it to the final without being beaten and then they lose, they play another final (to keep it so that all teams need to have lost twice before getting knocked out).

IMO this would be a better and fairer for everyone. You need to lose two matches before you get knocked out so it means every team gets at least 2 games. However that would mean double the amount of matches for you.
This discussion has been closed.