NS2HD NS2 Beta Tournament

Comments

• TekJTekJ Join Date: 2011-08-13 Member: 116212Members
    I'll talk to my leader for Frelge Team :D
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2011
    Shilorius, that is a ###### godballs awesome idea. I honestly think the idea of donating the "winnings" to UWE would be Top-Notch Bacon covered with Awesome Sauce! Not because of the dollar amount, but because of the symbolism behind the gesture of the donation. If that act doesn't scream community, I don't know what would.

Hell, here is a way to look at it. We'd be buying UWE a night out! Drinks on the community! :)
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    I'll offer up a server:

Server: The Drunken Gorge
    Admin: thedrunkengorge@gmail.com

When is the tournament expected to take place?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Thankyou autograder! Aiming for mid september I think. Possibly starting late September depending on logistics.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Playing for money is fine, the winning team can choose to do with it whatever they like. I recommend buying gift copies of ns2 for all their friends. But donating to someone else is also good. Or, they could upgrade their computers, or pay for a voice server, or anything they can think of... it really doesn't matter, and I'm not against playing for money.

Anyway, heres the ns2au entry into the mix.

name: natural selection 2 australia community clan
    tag: ns2au/ns2nz
    nationality: Australia and New Zealand
    Captain: ns2au | Green

Note: I can only really play on weekends, sunday, any other day is extremely iffy and likely to have problems.

I have a team list, but theres no need to post that up just yet, except we are a team of 13 members at the moment, so getting enough for a 6v6 isn't a problem.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Looks like YO Clan are in :)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    We are reaching 10 teams soon. So maybe #156 should think about there 2 teams.
    I think it wasnt be cool that a new team cant play, cause #156 have two teams.
  • bluethunder2kbluethunder2k Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98234Members
    edited August 2011
    I'll donate the price of a special edition to this cause :) 39.95

For convenience, I'll say $40

No Aussie teams in it ATM as far as I know but if anyone out there is keen, lets get this ###### going!!! (Speaking to all my Aus-PURE bros!!)

^
    ^
    Sorry I missed ironsoul's post. If you need another player I'm up for it :)
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    Hello,

The Frelge server can host the tournament : 88.190.18.171:27015 (Eu-France-Paris)
  • vlncvlnc Join Date: 2010-09-07 Member: 73921Members, Squad Five Blue
    Sounds good !

We're very happy to see a real tournament, thank you ns2hd.

Frelge will be there too.

Capitaine d'équipe : pa1n

We have one server located in Paris
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    If I have observed this community correctly I think the winning Team will donate the money to the UWE-crew. As well as the two teams on third and second place :)
    This is the reason why this community is so awesome and deserves more attention.
    keep up the good work NS2HD!
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    I can also livestream games for you NS2HD after 6 PM (cst) on weekdays and any time on weekends. I've got a verified Livestream channel that can take an unlimited amount of viewers and good enough bandwidth to stream a (watchable) version. I can also set up vent/mumble/TS so you can cast it while it's streaming.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    I would like to offer up the Team #156 servers for this tourny.

We have a number of admins that can make changes and reset the box.

Located in Oregon

Playa_2b
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869630:date=Aug 17 2011, 09:33 AM:name=Broseidon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Broseidon @ Aug 17 2011, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869630"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If I have observed this community correctly I think the winning Team will donate the money to the UWE-crew. As well as the two teams on third and second place :)
    This is the reason why this community is so awesome and deserves more attention.
    keep up the good work NS2HD!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well my donation at least is for the winning teams. I think UWE would benefit less if they get the winnings, compared to the benefit of kickstarting a competitive community for the game. Indirectly more attention for the game does turn into game purchases.

Give the teams some incentive to put on some awesome games that I and others would enjoy watching. Games that would inspire the community to do more.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1869597:date=Aug 17 2011, 08:37 AM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Aug 17 2011, 08:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869597"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are reaching 10 teams soon. So maybe #156 should think about there 2 teams.
    I think it wasnt be cool that a new team cant play, cause #156 have two teams.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->If it comes down to that then we will probably withdraw one of our teams. It was my hope, by 156 having two groups that we'd increase the chances of having 12+ groups in the tournament. I don't want 156 to force someone else out from competing.

Edit: @NS2HD/Community: Is there a limit on the number of teams that can participate? Should there be a limit (practicality issues aside)?
  • SmaugSmaug Join Date: 2011-05-23 Member: 100283Members
    Put me down for Cydweithrediad's team Captain. As in, Smaug, not the player me.

As a point of interest, is this going to publicized in any shape or form through Live Stream Commentating, publicizing the tournament on Reddit, TeamLiquid etc?

I can imagine people saying yay or nay to trying to bring in the numbers to watch, I do believe people will say they're turned off over the fact that they're potentially watching an unbalanced game as it can still be considered early beta, but on the flip side more viewers = more potential people pre-purchasing the game.

Personally, I would say publicizing it would be for the best, if we assume both scenarios will be true.
  • Boxer`DBoxer`D Join Date: 2011-07-27 Member: 112532Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1869633:date=Aug 17 2011, 11:09 AM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Aug 17 2011, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can also livestream games for you NS2HD after 6 PM (cst) on weekdays and any time on weekends. I've got a verified Livestream channel that can take an unlimited amount of viewers and good enough bandwidth to stream a (watchable) version. I can also set up vent/mumble/TS so you can cast it while it's streaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 wicked idea
    <!--quoteo(post=1869667:date=Aug 17 2011, 03:31 PM:name=Smaug)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Smaug @ Aug 17 2011, 03:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can imagine people saying yay or nay to trying to bring in the numbers to watch, I do believe people will say they're turned off over the fact that they're potentially watching an unbalanced game as it can still be considered early beta, but on the flip side more viewers = more potential people pre-purchasing the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, we have to start somewhere even if there won't be many viewers ^^
  • invTempestinvTempest Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14223Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Anagram will also be able to host a server or two for the tournament (central US | Chicago).

Also, add me in for $40 to the donation pool.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm overwhelmed by the response so far - this could really work out to be a great thing for competitive NS2 play.

Regarding the number of teams, 16 is the practical limit. We are at 9 now, and it's only been 10 since this thread went up. I hope we can make it to 16. If we can't, I will figure out some sort of tournament format that allows all registered teams to play. Team #156, it's great that you are entering more than one team and you're very welcome to do that.

Anyone know how I can make my acceptance of PayPal contributions public? So that I can collect and hold the prize money without anyone thinking I am stealing it?
  • PhYzorPhYzor Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22005Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    is it possible to play match with Friendly Fire ON ? (Like NS1)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, doesn't that require cheats mode to be on?
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Wow awesome, a tournament. Nice to see people donating to the prize pool as well! Gives more incentive for people to actually start teams and try to win some $. Game isn't exactly balanced though so BO3 might be bad, win 2 in a row sounds better. I'll be watching the games fo sho.
    Darkside can post up a server.

inFamous.Fighter is the admin, US ( Chicago ) EAST

Doubt we'll need any east servers tho with the ana ones offered
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2011
    btw. you forget to add the HBZ-Server :)
    Admin: dePARA
    Loacation: Germany

Serveradmin for Frelge is vlnc i think and on Anagram-side Tempest (Forum: morbus).
    Correct me if im wrong.
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2011
    If anyone need a player from Europe, please let me know! :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1869686:date=Aug 17 2011, 04:29 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Aug 17 2011, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->btw. you forget to add the HBZ-Server :)
    Admin: dePARA
    Loacation: Germany

Serveradmin for Frelge is vlnc i think and on Anagram-side Tempest (Forum: morbus).
    Correct me if im wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

vlnc (pa1n) and me (PhY) for Frelge server
  • Alpha.Alpha. Join Date: 2011-01-04 Member: 76186Members
    Money reward is in general very good idea, game is still too unbalanced though, even more: balance can change <b>dramatically</b> each week, in the middle of tourney too - which can negatively impact atmosphere in our small community. Thats why this:

<!--quoteo(post=1869547:date=Aug 17 2011, 07:11 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Aug 17 2011, 07:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1869547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(...)I would prefer that the winner donates the money to UWE(...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

seems reasonable to me - we can make another tourney with money rewards for players closer to or after 1.0

@Hugh: add 50$ from me to the prize pool.

Regards
    #156.Alpha
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Just to keep your info as descriptive as possible I am also an admin on #156 servers, and so is McGlaspie and Alpha.
This discussion has been closed.